Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Holidays

I hope that you all will have a happy holidays whatever you celebrate. 

I've spent a few hours creating a clean gateway for myself to do all my game specific programming in C++.  I broke away from Jeff Larmarche's OGL framework, because his adds another layer (the controller) and it also has forward/backward references from/to view and controller, which was making it difficult for my bridging code, because I don't understand Objective-C well enough to modify his glview.m class.  In Objective-C if one of the implementation files has a reference to a C++ class the file extension has to change to .mm so that the compiler knows to use the Objective-C++ compiler.  However, just changing his class implementation file to .mm and doing nothing else causes errors.

So, I just took the GLSprite class that I got up and running with a little test 11 days ago, when I had my personal challenge of getting something up in 10 days.  I stripped out all their sample OGL code, and created my C++ class then gave a reference to it and instantiated it, and voila, I've got a gateway to my stuff.

So, now off to do small tests so that I can make sure I can do all I wish to do in the game, code up some graphics effects, code up some physics, etc....  Now, that my framework is up, now I can concentrate on what it is I know, and what I want to do.

I sent an email to the Imagination Tech/PowerVR folks.  They have an emulator and SDK for certain platforms using OpenGL ES.  Their site didn't list an emulator for Mac OS X, although I'm sure it is theirs that is running the iPhone Simulator.  I would like to have the same emulator running on my Mac, so that when I build my editor, I don't have to write specific graphics code for the editor and specific code for the engine, since ES does some things differently, not a lot, but it could eliminate preprocessor conditionals.  I will post what I find out.

Anyway...off to code.

No comments: