Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"That ditch is Steve Jobs ditch..."

Okay, my last posting I told you I was going to get my mind right, and get the Mac Mini. Well, I was told by a co-worker that the reason I could not change the permissions on the "codesign," file is because I had to login as Super User, "su." So, I packed that little Unix nugget away, went home and viola. I was able to change the permissions on the codesign file and thus replace it with the Tiku, perl script.

I compiled and built my code for the iPhone device, and it worked! I was on cloud 9. Life is a roller coaster, get used to it. My quick feelings of euphoria were soon replaced with dread, dispair, and lots and lots of frustration.

The certificate, ID provisioning on the iPhone in its current state is quite confusing. Once past the codesigning it doesn't matter if I'm on an Intel or PPC Mac. The problem is getting the provisioning IDs and xCode working properly. My problem was that I loaded the provision on to my iTouch wrong the first time (the wrong ID). The iPhone OS 2.2 I discovered has a bug that it only sees the first provision. Even though you are allowed like 100 on the iPhone/iTouch. Thus, when creating your ID you should name it, "com.yourcompanyname.*" The asterisk wild card, allows any app name to be tested on the device. I didn't do that the first time. So, now I have an ID on the phone I can't use.

The solutions were 3...the first two I wasn't going to even attempt out of not having the knowledge and the second out of fear.

Suggested solution 1 was to SSH into my iPhone, go to the directory where the provision ID was and delete it. Yeah, right...I wasn't going to waste time learning how to do that.

Suggested solution 2 was to reformat my iPhone. Yeah, right...and then find I might screw something up and render my iTouch useless.

Suggested solution 3 was to install the iPhone 2.2.1 OS on my iTouch. However, this means I would also have to upgrade to iPhone SDK 2.2.1. Which my fears were that Apple would have come up with a block for us PPC developers. Well, they did. The key iPhone packages wouldn't install and the previous hacks to get around that no longer worked. Fortunately, the 2.2 SDK and simulator still work...whew! So, I can still develop with my PPC.

So...

"That ditch is Boss Job's ditch. And I told him that dirt in it's your dirt. What's your dirt doin' in his ditch"

"I don't know, Boss."

"You better get in there and get it out, boy."

So, my mind is RIGHT now! I promise boss, I'm shakin' it! :)

I will get the Mac Mini, and go straight. So, all told, that was 5 days wasted trying to hack this thing. I just want to write code!

1 comment:

Gyuri said...

What a p.i.t.a. I wonder how I'll fare with my MSI Wind U100 Hackintosh (http://lifehacker.com/5056570/run-os-x-on-the-msi-wind-mini-laptop)