Thursday, January 8, 2009

Touches Update

Yeah!

Come on, come on, come on, come on now
Touch me, babe!
Can't you see that I am not afraid?

The touches are now working properly. They no longer lag. I had to fix my rendering code to render on the timer properly, and to switch over to double buffering. Now, things are working nicely. I will put in some code next to see what my frame rate is.

Some of the basic mechanics of the game are in place, but still much more to figure out...like sound. I will begin with OpenAL tomorrow evening. I have read some contradicting posts on the internet that say sound does and does not work on the simulator. I will put together some test code and find out.

Another gotcha...don't know if I mentioned this already, but since I'm running the simulator on a PPC, the colors are wrong. RGBA on the simulator with PPC is GRAB. I'm not going to worry about it for now. I'm going to do my prototyping and learning, and when I am well into the real game engine code then I will pluck down the $99 for the signing certificate and see if I can get a signature for the PPC (there appears to be a script that can do it, that someone posted on the internet). I'll give it a try, if it doesn't work, then I will plunk down $599+change for a mini Mac, and sign my app. However, that is down the road.

I've been wrestling with a tough beast on my day job...trying to figure out why my TCP/IP socket is dropping the connection inside a VMWare virtual machine. I don't know if it is their DNS kicking me out, or what. I've got keep_alives, receive/send time bumped up, pumping my own little heart beat messages, and still drops. The connections outside the VM work like a charm, so I will prepare for another day of battle. Why not ask VMWare support you ask...poooolllleeeaaaasssseee! I have asked them three times and "SILENCE!" (she blinded me with science). So, I'm on my own.

Oh...a funny thing happened to me the other morning. I was walking into a local grocery store to grab a couple of bagels from the bakery. As I walked into the store, two college age boys were coming out the door. I was wearing my "Video Games Live," (the Tommy Tallarico production) tour t-shirt (great show if you haven't seen it, check it out). Well, as I passed them, I heard a shout, "Video games DON'T LIE dude, they are the TRUTH!" So, I was like 30 steps passed them before it registered. "He was talking to me!" Which when I thought about it, proves three things...

1) Video games are an integral part of society.
2) People are passionate about video games (pro and con)
3) And...video games are contributing to the down fall of our youth...Dude couldn't read!! The shirt reads, VIDEO GAMES LIVE, not Video Games Lie. :)

Okay, I don't believe #3, but it makes you wonder.

Rockin' outta here to "Framing Hanley's," remix of Lollipop..."shawwty wannnna thuuug...you know I like to touch."

No comments: