Friday, January 9, 2009

No Sound...not yet

Okay, last post I said I was going to tackle sound, but I've decided to hold off on for now, since there are a few more things I need to figure out in my game mechanics, and I want to also code up some effects. So, I won't get side tracked.

The update on the beast I was going to slay at work (socket dropping connection inside the VMWare VM). Well, I figured out what the problem was. The DHCP lease inside the VM was set for 2 hours. Which explains when I would build a fresh VM the connection would last that long. However, reverting the VM reduces the time since the snapshot is still the previous one. Which explains the more I reverted the VM the quicker the connection would be lost. So, the solution up the min and max DHCP lease time and implement the reconnection code I kept saying I would get to, but first I wanted to know what was causing the problem. Now, I know.

Ahhh...but, in my trying to figure out what was the culprit, I decided yesterday to disable the "denial of service," security on XP, turn of virus scanning, and turn off my firewall. Oh nooooo...yep, immediately I get hit with a virus. I spent most of the day running virus scanner on my machine (with the help of a co-worker), and got my machine back...I thought. Tonight I sat down to work on the fix, and the blue screen of death popped up on my work laptop. I can't even boot in Safe Mode...sheesh! One problem solved, another one gained.

No, iPhone work tonight, my brain is exhausted.

No comments: