Monday, June 1, 2009

Doin' The Cha-Cha!

Yesterday a took a step back to clean up some things. Today some steps forward...cha-cha, cha-cha.

I'm proud to announce that I'm now up and running in my own project. I've started laying out my different component classes (yes I am big on Design Patterns). Ahhh...it feels great to be in an organized environment.

I will continue on.

One draw back. My artist is still having trouble creating transparent sprites with Illustrator and Photoshop. I keep getting things that aren't transparent at all, or half of the sprites are transparent.

Call for help...if anyone out there knows how to create transparent PNG images in Illustrator and/or Photoshop please drop me an email.

Thanks!

Now back to work...

3 comments:

Gyuri said...

It's quite rudimentary in Photoshop; I do it all the time. Your artist just needs to hide any background layers so that he sees PS's filler pattern that indicates transparency (alternating white & gray squares). Then just save as a PNG. This also saves any alpha transparency in the remaining image if you want to blend edges. Feel free to contact me directly ggrell at pobox dot com. I haven't gotten around to learning Illustrator yet, so can't help you there.

Here's an example of what it looks like: http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc001.html

Does the iPhone support rendering alphablended PNGs directly? Are you using them in OpenGL (or do you have to convert to TGA, TIF or something similar)

R E Haxton said...

Thanks Gyuri!

I'm converting the PNGs to PVRTC (Power VR Texture Compression) pvr4 format. I believe they handle transparency.

I've done some tests with other images.

Thinking about it, I wonder if his art is correct and due to the fact that I'm still running on my PowerPC Mac, and the colors are GRAB instead of RGBA if that is why.

The test images I've loaded when viewed in Paintshop Pro the transparency shows up black, and when I put it in my GRAB Mac, it looks transparent. His art has white background in Paintshop Pro. So, his may be correct all this time...we'll see.

My new Intel Mac should be in this week. I will hopefully know soon.

Thanks!

Gyuri said...

Paint Shop Pro -- haven't used that since I started using Photoshop ages ago! I've found that Paint.NET (http://www.paint.net/) is good at viewing transparency.