Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dirty Musings

I just verified that when editing your Lua scripts, "Build & Run," will address the changes. The build doesn't have to be "clean," in order for script changes to be noticed. Dirty (changed) scripts, just need to be rebuilt. Still not dynamic as scripting outside of the iPhone's Bundle scheme, but livable.

No coding for a few days, narrowing down my design...designing out my components. I know, I said that about a week ago, but I got involved with the Interface Builder and playing with views to see how I would do my "settings," "high score," etc...views, and doing the music for the game.
So, now back to design...

Design patterns and components is the same approach for my *real* job's (Secure Command...shameless plug) application (Internet Cleanroom...another shameless plug). It has saved me lots of time and headaches, as our small company's product has morphed into other products. We can take the components I designed and plug them in easily, and add new components where need be. Or just add new behaviors (strategy pattern) and change how the app behaves.

So, I will be employing the same techniques here. Which means on this first game, I'm doing lots of work, but hopefully, afterwards I'll be able to crank out another or two faster.

The underlying engines...graphics, physics (limited and basic for this game), file manager, and fonts are done. I still have to do sound and ai. The current ai is crude and was just making sure all the mechanics worked. Now, that I have Lua incorporated I will be scripting most of the ai. I've decided for sound I will be using OpenAL.

The "strategy pattern," and "observer pattern," will be heavily used I can tell you that already. Anyway...there's still 3-4 more hours left for me to get some work done.

Cya, or C++ya, or ObjectiveCya.

No comments: